Having a clear liquid discharge from anus. What could that be?

General Surgeon
I am having a clear liquid discharge from my anus along with gas. What could that be?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Clear liquid discharge from the anus is a mucus. Intestine cells constantly produce the mucus for the stool to pass easily. So its presence is very normal thing. However, when the bowel movements are not regular due to constipation, mucus without the stool can appear from the anus. Gas can also appear with the mucus.

As you are almost 50, such symptom should not be ignored. Over the age of 50 the risk of colon cancer significantly rises. That is why every person over the age of 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years.

Other possible reasons of your symptom are chronic bowels infection, bad diet (low fiber intake, low mineral water intake), lack of physical activity, medicines (ca-blockers, antidepressants), thyroid diseases.

I suggest you to change your diet first. Increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake. Try to have some physical activity (it greatly stimulates bowels to move). And no matter if this will help, please get scheduled for colonoscopy.
Stool tests should be done as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.