Having a bump on the leg. No discharge and no itching. What could it be?

Hi I been having a bump on my leg for months. Here's a pic
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later

You have a bump on your leg from a few months.

I would need more information before answering your query, please do not mind in answering the following:

1. Is there any itching present?
2. Is there any discharge seen?
3. Is it present in any other area of your body?
4. Have you taken any medication for this?

I have seen the picture. The bump in your leg could be due to various reasons like Boils, Folliculitis, Insect bite or allergic reaction. It is unlikely to be a insect bite since it is present from a long time. Also if you are taking any new medication which can cause such skin reactions you can avoid taking it and observe for changes.

It looks more likely to be a Boil or Follicultis. Boils occur due to infection under the skin. Folliculits could be caused due to infection of a hair follicle.

You can gently compress the boil with a warm cloth. You can use over the counter medication - 1% Hydrocortisone ointment. If the boils don't come to a head, open and drain, or if the redness spreads then you will need to get examined by a doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Having a bump on the leg. No discharge and no itching. What could it be? 4 hours later
Hi, no it doesn't itch or discharge. I haven't done anything about it. I only have it on my thigh. Does it look cancerous?? It just kinda hurts when I press down on it.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 23 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

It is highly unlikely that this swelling is cancerous.

As I believe that more information helps a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would like to know if there is any increase in size of the bump.

This swelling could be infectious in origin as you have also complained that it hurts when you press it down. You might need to get it drained, if there is any pus. The presence of pus can be made out if the swelling is freely movable and has a throbbing pain. I would suggest the following:
a. Warm compresses over the area (using a warm cloth) will help
b. You will need to apply a topical antibiotic ointment containing clindamycin or metronidazole. These are prescription drugs and you would need to consult your treating physician for the same.