Having a bump on the edge of eye and painful. Suggest the remedy to get rid of this?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi there - I am a healthy 29 year old male. I noticed I have a bump on the edge of my eye that is a little painful. I am just getting over a couple of styes that have been underneath my eyelid. This one is on the outside. Is this also a stye? I am hosting a television series next week so if I can get rid of this somehow that would be great. Please confirm this does not look like something rare like eye herpes or something. Thank you so much.
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 33 minutes later
MyDear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is most likely to be a resolved infllamation known as chalazion.
Since tis is slightly painful,hot foamentation and a short coarse of antbiotics is helpful.
Anti biotic of choice in lid margin infections is tetracycline.
In case if you can get steroid eye ointment then they also help in resolving these nodules early.Otherwise foamentation and antibiotic is good enough.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Follow-up: Having a bump on the edge of eye and painful. Suggest the remedy to get rid of this? 34 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Are you certain this is not eye herpes? Also, can you clarify what foamentation means? Is that a warm compress?

Thanks you very much.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later
MyDear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
We can never be too sure.
One confirmation can be if you send me a photograph of the eye.
Foamentation means warm compress for about 5 mts.

Follow-up: Having a bump on the edge of eye and painful. Suggest the remedy to get rid of this? 4 hours later
Hi...There Is A Photograph Attached Already. Do You Need Additional Photo?

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 13 hours later

My Dear,
there was some difficulty in opening this file so it took bit of time.
This looks like a sebaceous cyst,but such cysts are not painful.This cyst is only covered by a thin layer of skin,we usually incise this skin with a needle and scoop the material out and that does not leave a scar.
Since you have slight pain ,there may be some infllamation and it will be better have conservative tt for a while.
Though small this cyst will be seen on TV in close up,that will need some covering up.
get back to in case of any further query in this regard.