Having Varicocele and a dragging heavy feel. Doing strenous activities. Suggestions?

General Surgeon
Hi, I think I have Varicocele, I believe the first time I noticed it was when I was a junior in high school, I didn't make a big deal of it so I let it go and I wrestled and did lots of strenuous activities on top of that. It has been now almost 4 years and I can still feel it, it doesn't hurt or anything. Rarely it feels sensitive or the "Dragging heavy" feel. and I think I have it grade 2 level to the point where I can feel it. when it's really warm sometimes I may be able to see it. I was just wondering if I should get help right away because currently I am deployed in Afghanistan and I've been doing lots of more strenuous activities so I was just wondering should I let anybody know?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
varicocele is dilatation of veins draining testis

Detailed Answer:
Varicocele is dilatation of veins draining testis.
It is best seen in standing position.
There are many lesions in the scrotum which are seen as swelling.
It is not related to exercise or lifting weights.
Hernia is the condition which is caused by increased abdominal pressure due to lifting,coughing etc.
So,get examined clinically by a surgeon/urologist and confirm the diagnosis.
You should get a colour doppler of scrotum for Confirmation of diagnosis of Varicocele.
If you come back with report,i will clarify further
Follow-up: Having Varicocele and a dragging heavy feel. Doing strenous activities. Suggestions? 24 minutes later
When I feel it it feels like a "bag of worms" in the left testicle, It's definitely there and I haven't noticed the size difference over the past three years. Is the surgery the ony way to fix this in that case?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Expert can only feel the bag of worms

Detailed Answer:
If your colour doppler shows varicocele and your semen analysis is abnormal,then surgery has to be done.
No role of medicines in varicocele.