Having UTI. Pus cell in urine report. E.coli in urine culture. Is it dangerous for health?

my father is suffering from uti for last two months and hospitalised twice for same. his pus cell in latest urine report is numerous.a urine culture test has done and report says e.coli grown after 24 hrs of incubation .he is diabatic and he is taking medicine ,ECOSPRIN, RAPILIF, MASCART. Is e.coli is XXXXXXX for his health
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
E.coli infection is not XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query. I appreciate the concern for your father.

* From the details provided, it is apparent that his urine culture and sensitivity was not done : this test shortlists the antibiotics which are most sensitive to E.coli.

* Further, there is always delayed healing with co-existing diabetes. Hence, he should have been given an appropriate antibiotic which was most sensitive to E.coli grown, and FOR ADEQUATE PERIOD, that is, 10-14 days. Inadequate duration of treatment leads to relapse of infection.

* E.coli, by itelf, is not XXXXXXX PROVIDED that most-effective antibiotic is given in CORRECT dosages, for ADEQUATE period- enough to kill ALL the bacteria.

* You may discuss the matter with his treating doctor, who knows what should be done.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal