Having Snapping hip syndrome. Will stretching associated with Taekwondo help in managing pain?

Spine Surgeon
snapping hip syndrome and Taekwondo I'm 35 years old and in decent shape. I often stay active at a local gym or playing some basketball. I've recently taken on Taekwondo (a traditional style).
I have snapping hip syndrome (dancers hip) but thus far it hasn't been painful. Maybe just a very slight pain, more of an annoyance the way I see it.
In my research it doesn't seem to be XXXXXXX and in fact the stretching associated with TKD could be beneficial.
Is that correct thinking?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
As you hardly have any pain or disability, you may go ahead with taekwondo. To be able to assist you better, I would also like to know the type of snapping hip that you have ( there are different causes for snapping hip ).
Stretching does help and in fact that is what we do surgically in certain situations where treatment is mandated.
So go ahead with taekwondo.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I would be available for follow up queries.
Thank you
Follow-up: Having Snapping hip syndrome. Will stretching associated with Taekwondo help in managing pain? 2 hours later
I believe it is inner if I'm correct. To be more specific I think it is the Psoas Major if I were to guess. The location seems right and I do have a little lower back discomfort but it also hasn't worsened in the last year that I've been seriously working out.
I feel the snap and actually hear it most with an ax kick. (Very high kick straight up and down, coming down like an ax)
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 13 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
Your back pain has no relation to the snapping.
Psoas major is a muscle which gets attached at the lesser trochanter which is a small bony projection on the inner side of upper femur ( the bone in the thighs) .is the one that snaps in your case. This muscle snaps against the bony ridge in hip flexion and internal rotation, two movements which are performed especially in your axe kick.
You need to undergo surgery only if it affects your day today activities.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please close this discussion if you have no further questions.
Thank you