Having Peripheral arterial disease and taking prednisone for polymyalgia rheumatica. Having nausea and low grade fever. Suggest a suitable treatment?

I have Peripheral arterial disease but for several years have been taking prednisone for polymyalgia rheumatica ,I have the prednisone down to 3mg a day (1 .5 am and 1.5 pm¨) I started yesterday nausia , head ache, muscle pain ,,low grade fever and didn`t sllep most of the night.....trying to sip on water every hr ....cannot eat is there any other treatment
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 21 minutes later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your query.

Well looking into the history you gave you must have been on steroids for long time so sudden tapering of dose may have led to these side effects . It indicates that your body requires more amount for control of symptoms .

One thing I would suggest you is to get CPK done to rule out steroid induced myopathy Consult a rheumatologist , get your ESR done and get your steroid dose adjusted .

Steroids are the gold standard treatment for PMR . Your symptoms shall improve with adequate dose.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti