Having PCOS, on homeopathy and getting regular periods but body and facial hair increasing. Treatment?

hi my daughter is having pcos she is 19yrs old and at present she is on homeopathy and she is getting regular periods but her body and facial hair growth is increasing rapidly. I am very worried about it please guide me for a proper treatment for her.

regards XXXXX
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High androgen levels.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern regarding your daughter. Kindly do not worry, there are many girls with similar complaints. Now a days PCOS problem has become very common due to various factors.
One of the associated complaint of PCOS is increased hair growth (hirsutism), usually it will be of male pattern. And fortunately it can be cured completely. I would suggest few investigations for your daughter before starting her on medication.
Few blood investigations Serum testosterone, DHEAS (dihydroepiandrosterone sulphate), LH FSH (leutinizing hormone & Follicular stimulating hormone). These tests will tell about the ANDROGEN levels, and testosterone, DHEAS will differentiate it from ovarian or Adrenal (adrenal gland) component.
To be on safer side, get a scan abdomen & pelvis to rule out any ovarian tumor or adrenal gland enlargement which causes Hirsutism.
Finally after analyzing all your reports your doctor will suggest some medications which help in decreasing the hair growth like cyclic adminstration of pills whcih contains CYPROTERONE ACETATE, AND ANTIANDROGENS.
Along with these measures she needs to avoid few things like STRESS, putting on weight, and have healthy life style with regular exercise, and proper food habits with low aft diet and avoiding junk foods.
Kindly do not try to pluck these hairs, because it can stimulate hair growth.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,     
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Follow-up: Having PCOS, on homeopathy and getting regular periods but body and facial hair increasing. Treatment? 18 hours later

Thank you, for your suggestion I have already done the said tests her Dhea-S levels are high they are 367.8 other tests are normal but till now her doctor has not suggested any kind of scan.

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Your daughter DHEAS level is normal, as the normal range for theis age group 145-395 ug/dl. DHEAS level will tell about ADRENAL androgen. I suggest she should get a ultrasound pelvis to know if they is any ovarian problem.

If the scan is normal she can be given cyclical cyproterone and ethinyl estradiol tablets which are best for PCOS patients with hirsutism.

Please ask if you have more questions.
Follow-up: Having PCOS, on homeopathy and getting regular periods but body and facial hair increasing. Treatment? 3 hours later
Thank you doctor.
Right now my daughter is under homeo medication for pcos, since taking them she is getting her periods regularly (since 6months she has been taking) but during this period only her facial and body hair growth has increased her testosterone done in july was 76.01,
serum insulin was 9.69,
prolactin was 26.53
Fasting blood glucos - 83 and
t.s.h was 8.38 redone t.s.h to reconfirm it should 6.5

she is not taking any other medication except homeo her gynecologist in hyderabad suggested to continue with home medication only. But she did not suggest any scans. For facial hair she asked to go for laser treatment.

Now we have shifted to Delhi and I have to find another gynecolgist here.
As suggested by you I will get an ultrasound and then proceed.
Can you suggest any doctor in delhi for pcos.

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High TSH needs to be addressed, NO LASER treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

After analyzing your daughters report what I conclude is:
she is having normal testosterone levels,
Normal serum insulin levels-----so no insulin resistance,
Normal prolactin levels (varies from lab to lab-so kindly correlate with your lab reference range),
Normal fasting blood glucose

What I am worried is your daughters TSH level is very high, according to me she is a HYPOTHYROID (less thyroid hormone). I feel she requires Thyroxine supplementation. I presume your doctor has discussed with you regarding this.

What I suggest you is before going to laser treatment the cause for hirsutism need be find out, otherwise LASER treatment is not much useful.

There are many good gynaecologists in Delhi, you can visit any of the multispeciality hospitals like Apollo.
Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit.

Good luck!!