Having PCOS, lipodermatosclerosis, PE and DVT. On warfarin. Trying to lose weight. What should I do?

I have lipodermatosclerosis (both legs) and suffered a PE and DVT 10 months ago. 54 year old obese woman. I'm wearing compression stockings, am currently on warfarin for at least a couple more months. I'm working to lose weight (PCOS contributing cause) and currently have no swelling in either ankle. I'm walking as exercise, which I'm working to increase. Also swimming and dancing. Are these useful exercises in supporting/increasing leg circulation? Are there others I should be practicing?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
All exercises help in improving circulation. To help you lose weight and get optimum benefits, we should be looking at atleast 50 minutes-1 hour of brisk walking per day. This needs to be done atleast 5 times a week. A brisk walk would be one where you are so breathless that you cant talk to a person walking next to you. Also, when you walk, do something called interval training. This means you walk at your own pace for 2 minutes and then run for 1 minute. Repeat this again and again. In addition, i would be looking for strength training twice-thrice a week. I would recommend that you do this under the supervision of a gym instructor or a physiotherapist. For the legs specifically, I would want you to do squats and lunges ( its important you maintain proper posture when you do this) These things would really amp up your metabolism and improve bone strength.
Let me know if you have any more questions.