Having PCOS. Prescribed with aldactone and metformin. How do I stop these medicines without weight gain?

Hi, I have pcos and have been put onto 200mgs of aldactone and 1000mg of metformin daily. I am at a healthy weight and want to stop using these pills even though I know I will get my acne and facial hair, I just don't want to take aldactone especially. Last time I tried to eliminate it my weight just kept creeping up even though I was watching what I ate. Can you suggest what I can do to get off this pill without weight gain?
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later
Brief Answer: PCOS Detailed Answer: Aldactone is also a diuretic ie a water pill in addition to having 'anti-androgen' effects meaning it opposes the effects of the male hormones in the body. Owing to the fact that it causes water loss it may provide some relief to individuals who tend to retain water for various reasons (Congestive heart failure, for example). In such persons, it does have a weight loss effect. In relatively healthy individuals like yourself, it does not normally cause weight loss. But I understand that you seem to be experiencing weight gain when you go off it, despite eating healthy. And this is of significant concern to you. In women considering pregnancy, it is important to go off aldactone anyway. Metformin, on the other hand, has the potential to result in 2% weight loss. The commonly prescribed dose of metformin is upto 2000 mg per day. So I suggest you consider discussing an increase in the metformin dose with your doctor.
Follow-up: Having PCOS. Prescribed with aldactone and metformin. How do I stop these medicines without weight gain? 2 hours later
The weight I gained was 10kgs which I could to get rid of until I went back on the drug. I understand that there a certain hormones that aldactone controls and I want to know which is it hat makes me gain weight and what I can do to get off the pill, I am not looking to inrease any of my other drugs especially metformin as I follow a low carb diet so taking more metformin e will only be damaging my body
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Aldactone Detailed Answer: Aldactone blocks the effect of 'androgens' (male hormones) on the receptor of cells. If you wish to go off it, then you may want to try alternatives to reduce the excessive hair growth such as estrogen or eflnornithine. However, you must consult an endocrinologist in person before you consider these options.