Having PCO. Prescribed clomid. After how many hours of HCG injection does ovulation occur?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I am 32 and having PCO and this cycle my doctor is giving me clomid with menopur to induce ovulation and will be performing IUI very soon.
I wanted to know how many hours after HCG trigger injection does ovulation occurs?
and does the fallopian tube catch egg every time follicle ruptures or not?
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 33 minutes later
Hello
Normally, Ovulation happens on average 38 hours after an HCG injection, with a range of 34 and 46 hours.
In the normal course, fallopian tubes do catch the released egg, but it is not compulsory.
At times, due to minute damage to the tube, it might not function normally, and fail to catch the ruptured egg.
If the egg also is defective, it fails to migrate normally towards the fallopian tube.
feel free to ask any further questions.

Follow-up: Having PCO. Prescribed clomid. After how many hours of HCG injection does ovulation occur? 11 minutes later
hellodocotr you replied

If the egg also is defective, it fails to migrate normally towards the fallopian tube

if in one cycle tubes do not catch due to minute damage , can the tube catch the egg in the next cycle or the damage is permanent?

what is meant by defective egg? if eggs are defective in one cycle are they defective in every cycle permanently?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Hi
I would ask you not to worry.
At times, the tubes go into spasm, which can be relived the next month.
Permanent damage is in the form of infection or adhesions.
Defective eggs means due to increased age or chromosomal abnormalities in the egg.
They would not be defective in each cycle, unless you have some kind of such disease.
Please do not worry, as stress is the main factor, which will negatively affect the results of the IUI.
All the best.