Having MCDK problem. Suggested no operation. Recommended scan at age 1. What to do? Suggest

Jul 2016

My baby is now 6 months old. She is having MCDK problem. And we are currently visiting CMC. Last week we were asked to take 2 scans (DTPA & Ultrasound Renal) & 1 xray (MCU). Doctor confirmed that there is no reflex now. so Operation is not required now. Some private doctor at Chennai tells that operation may not required. But CMC, Vellore - doctors tells that we have to take another scan at age 1. then we can decide. Pls advice me, is that operation is must? on what cases? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your 6 months old baby has been detected to have Multicystic Dysplastic Disease of the Kidney.
Your Dr at CMC has recently done DTPA scan and MCU and there is no VU Reflux on other side suggesting the other kidney being normal.
Normally in majority of the cases Dysplastik kidney disappear over a period of first year what is called as Autonephrectomy and no surgery is required.
However in few cases( 8-10%) it may increase in size and has to be removed by surgery. That is the reason Dr s at CMC have asked you to get second scan done after one year to confirm the status at that point of time.and to decide whether he/she needs surgery or not?

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Having MCDK problem. Suggested no operation. Recommended scan at age 1. What to do? Suggest 6 minutes later
Thanks for the quick response. Yes you are right and thanks for the clarification. But what is the percentage of childs in India will be having this kind of issue (MCDK), particular about female gender? Is that have any side affects because of MCDK, affecting growth? But we have identified that left kidney is not growing like right kidney. At the age of 10 days, we took a scan where right was 3.6cm and left was also same. but in the last week scan, (6 months), right was 5.2 cmd and left was 4.1. So is that we can consider that left is not growing like right? Thanks again for the reply.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 16 minutes later
Thanks for feedback.There are no side effects of MCDK on general growth of a child .This is very rare congenital anomaly (I have seen only one patient in my practice for last 40 years).and no statistical data about the number of cases in India is available.
Do not worry get her scan done after 1at the age of one year and be prepared mentally for surgery(Nephrectomy) if needed which is very simple surgery .
If you are happy with my explanation and if you have time post your review on this forum.of Health care magic .com.

Thanks and Regards.