Having Low back radiating pain, was not recommended surgery. Suggest?

XXXXX is having a Low back radiating pain.

The consulted doctor did not heavily recommend surgery but suggested moderate work.

But Low Back Pain recurs.

Based on the information provided, we need to know your opinion whether we have to do surgery or manage by physiotherapy or what treatment is required ?

Kindly help.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 days later
Brief Answer:
No surgery required as of now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

I have gone through your question and the attached reports as well.

In my opinion, there is no need for surgery right now. Instead you should concentrate on giving adequate rest, physiotherapy and correct exercises.

Physiotherapy may include intermittent lumbar traction, ultrasound massage, shortwave diathermy and cold compresses.

Along with this, she should also do exercises regularly, but not heavy, moderate exercise will be sufficient.

Apart from this she can take pain killers when she has increased pain.

Take it slow, if all this fails, the your doctor will recommend surgery, because there are complications of surgery which can not be excluded.

I sincerely hope this answers your question effectively. Do write back if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Having Low back radiating pain, was not recommended surgery. Suggest? 14 hours later
Thanks doctor.

In a grading system, how much disc has extruded to cause this issue ?

Is there any set of guidelines you can provide, when we approach a physiotherapy.

I am well aware of the fact that we cannot treat a MRI but only a person.

Your opinion will help us.

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not enough data to grade

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

Thank you for writing back.

In the report provided, there is not enough data to grade the lesion exactly, since a diffuse bulge was mentioned with indentation on thecal sac and roots of nerves I made a valid guess of stage 1 to 2, and zone AB.

The set of guidelines will be to follow the exact method of exercise as advised by the physiotherapist, there is no other particularly important guideline.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to write back if you have further questions.

All the best.