Having Irritable bowel syndrome. Having a round formed stool. Advice?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hello. I have a history of ibs (diagnosed not by colonoscopy but by rome criteria and length of time ive had it, and all sorts of negative bloodwork) my question is, sometimes my stool is a nice large round formed stool, sometimes the diameter is smaller (definitely not pencil thin ever, but just smaller), sometimes is is an appropriate width and diameter (large) but flat on all sides, etc. Is this normal? If it were a mass, my stool wouldnt fluctuate correct? I am 31, female, and no health issues other than the ibs which runs in my family.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 16 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
i don't think there is a reason to worry. This is normally seen,especially in ibs and stool shape and color depends on several factors such as which food are you taking,what time are u eating, fluids intake, bowel motility,bowel infections, liver and gallbladder function and many other.
considering you age and gender,tumors are rarely seen.
there would be progressive decrease in size of stool and blood in stool. your symptoms may be seen it mass is located closer to small intestines but you would have anameia and pain in this case.
so I don't think it is necessary to do colonoscopy at this point. You can do stool testing on blood later in life as a preventional test and everything else should be managed by balanced,healthy diet. Wish you good health.if you have any questions I ll be glad to help. regards
Follow-up: Having Irritable bowel syndrome. Having a round formed stool. Advice? 4 minutes later
ok. i was just tested for anemia a month and a half ago and it came back normal so that is good. ok thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 minutes later
Yes that's good, just check your red blood count from time to time since it can indicate some nutrients defficieny commonly seen in ibs or intrabowel bleeding. Wish you good health.