Having Impetigo. Tried mupirocin and clindamycin. Permanent solution?

I've been dealing with impetigo on and off for 2 years now and its taking a toll on my life. The mupirocin ointment isn't as effective anymore and i tried the clindamycin antiobiotics, another fail. Every time i have a doctors appt my wound has cleared up so the doctor has nothing to treat, but it always returns. Will this last forever? please help. I need to get rid of this.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later

Thanks for the query, it would be good if you would have provided the following information too. This information is important for a better answer.

1) Are you applying clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide over Impetigo?

2) Do you have Acne or Impetigo? Did the doctor confirm as Impetigo?

3) On which part of the body you have Impetigo?

4) Are you having atopic dermatitis or Atopic tendency (As you have mentioned asthma in the medical history)? or family history of Atopic dermatitis. Did the doctor ask your anything seriously about family history?

Atopic Dermatitis and Asthma co exist in many. Let me also throw some light here.

Impetigo is a bacterial infection caused by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria.

Persons who get recurrent boils usually have nasal carraige of Staph aureus (bacteria causing Impetigo) in front part of the nostrils.

To get rid of this state doctor's generally recommend application of Mupirocin ointment inside nasal
Cavity, two times a day for 5 days. This will significantly reduce nasal carriage of the potential bacteria; this reduces the episodes of Infection.

Also you should get yourself a complete blood count, eosinophil count, fasting and postmeal sugar levels and fasting insulin levels. Next time let your doctor know about these and take a print out of my answer. It may help him.

If you think mupirocin is not working your doctor may recommend other antibiotic creams like Framycetin cream, Fusidic acid, Retapamulin.

The best treatment and follow up can be sought by a local dermatologist if not a PCP.

Also you can use antibacterial soap for bathing or can add dettol or savlon to bathwater.

I hope I have answered your query and will be available for follow up should you have any.

Please accept this answer if you do not have any further queries.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Having Impetigo. Tried mupirocin and clindamycin. Permanent solution? 4 hours later
Yes the doctor confirmed it to be impetigo. I can usually tell the difference between an acne breakout and impetigo. It's only on my face and I do everything possible to stay clean. Would the clindamycin gel work? I was prescribed that for acne. And I have no idea what atopic dermatitis is unfortunately.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later

Thanks for the clarifications.

Impetigo would respond to oral and topical antibiotics.

Orally you can take penicllin,cephalosporin or macrolide antibiotics.

You can apply clindamycin,erythromycin,fusidic acid cream topically also retapamulin is a newer antibiotic available in topical form.

Use antibacterial face wash twice or thrice a day.

Use cleansing lotion like cetaphil once or twice a day.

Follow my previous advise and everything will be alright.
Impetigo is usually easily treatable.

Atopic dermatitis is an allergic skin condition.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow-up.

Wish you speedy recovery.