Having Hyperlipidemia. Took tonact plus. Got changes in cholesterol and triglyceride level. Side effect?

I have Hyperlipidemia and have been on rosuvas 5 mg and nialip 375 mg for 1 year now. Earlier i used to take Tonact plus. A check up done last week showed total cholestrol at 182 . but triglyceride was 274. Doc has asked me to switch to Tonact TG. however i have gall bladder stones(dormant now). Read that Tonact TG is contra indicated for Cholelithiasis. Can I take Tonact TG ?Blood sugar level seems to be going up for the first time with HBA1c = 6.4. Am i diabetic already or borderline? Starting homochek today as Homocystine is 18.4.
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Dear Sir ,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the history that you are giving I see that you are suffering from metabolic syndrome picture .I see that you have already taking rosuvastatin , nicotinic acid .

Now you have been prescribed Tonact TG that consists of atorvastatin and fenofibrate . Atorvastatin belongs to same class as rosuvastatin . Fenofibrate in this drug combination may increase risk of cholelithiasis and it is advisable to discontinue it if gallbladder stones are present even if they are asymptomatic.

I think you should discuss this with your treating doctor and let him know of your gall stones . Ezetimibe is a new effective drug to be tried in your case .

HbA1c of 6.4 means that your are prediabetic. You can still control it with lifestyle modifications , exercises and diet control . You can take homochek , it consists folic acid and is beneficial for you .

Dr. Shruti