Having Diabetes. Suggest medicine, dosage and duration of treatment?

Question
Now, detected that I am having type-2 Diabetes. My Fasting Blood Sugar is 139, Post lunch Blood Sugar is 212 and Glycosylated Haemoglobin is 8.5.
Kindly, suggest which medicine should I take (that shall be safe for my heart) with dosage and duration of treatment.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. Most important thing is to follow diet and take regular exercise. Along with them take metformin sustained release tablet 500 mg once a day after breakfast. Take it for 3 months and repeat the above tests again. Depending on the results desicision on continuation of tablet can be taken. Need less to say in early stage of diabetes its always better to give more importance to dietary modification & physical activity. More is your effort in this regard less will be the medication required and it will help you in long run.
Hope this hel0s.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Having Diabetes. Suggest medicine, dosage and duration of treatment? 6 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Please let me know which will be better Metformin or Glimepiride?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 18 minutes later
Metformin is the drug of choice unless you are under weight. so start on metformin unless there is a contraindication.
Shivaprasad