Having Cough. Had a blood test. The area around was red, sore and swelled. What does it mean?

Hi, my 22 year old son had a blood test today and it is swollen, red and really sore. This never happened to me, is it okay?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 35 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.I understand your concern.
Apply ice packs to the local area and apply a thrombophob gel to the local area.
This is a local reaction to the puncture.
If it increases or swells up consult your physician.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Having Cough. Had a blood test. The area around was red, sore and swelled. What does it mean? 34 minutes later
Thank you. He had the bloodtest at 12:00 noon today and now it is 11:00 pm. How long should we give it for the swelling/soreness to go away before calling doctor? I can't reach anyone now until tomorrow morning (probably another 12 hours from now).
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 3 hours later
Don't worry,wait for at least 24 hrs before consulting a physician.In the meantime continue the medications..I have prescribed..