Having Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Why do I feel hard sometimes?

COPD-Why is it that sometimes I am fine, and other times I can hardly breathe.
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to have been diagnosed with COPD.

2. Though Varriability of symptoms is more of a feature in asthma, it may also be found in COPD.

3. Considering you history of allergy to pollen, you seem to have an overlap syndrome (COPD + Asthma) or Asthma rather then COPD, and hence the variability of symptoms. Have you ever smoked in the past?

4. For the management of the condition firstly you need to get evaluated in detail by a pulmonologist. Investigations required are Chest Xray, Pulmonary function tests and Serum IgE levels.

5. The cornerstone of the therapy is inhalers and you need to take them regularly along with oral medications.

6. Do consider pneumococcal anf flu vaccinations to prevent any episode of secondary respiratory infections leading to the exacerbation episode.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist
Replied by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra