Having Chronic Sinus. Preferred endoscopy. Permanent cure?

ENT Specialist
hello doctor
I reside in India (Pondicherry). I am having Chronic Sinus for the past 7 years.
How to get this completely cured? I consulted the local ENT specialist, who is preferring Endoscopy - who also says it is not the permanent solution. Please let me know a permanent solution, if any...
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 26 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

Chronic sinusitis depends upon the actual cause. If the sinusitis is due to allergy, then yes, your doctor is right, there is no cure for the problem. If the sinusitis is due to blockage of the nose secondary to the deviated nasal septum or osteomeatal complex block, with surgical correction, it will be alright.

CT scan is a must to find out the levels of block in the nasal cavity and the sinuses. This also aids in further management and the surgeon while performing the endoscopic sinus surgery.

My suggestion to you is to get the CT scan done at first, as it dictates the further management. Apart from this, you need to use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation three times a day. If you are having associated allergic symptoms such as running nose and sneezing, then you will require steroid nasal spray also. If you have tried all these before and has not benefitted much, then surgery would be next best choice.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon