Having Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and chest infections. Done with sputum test. Prescribed with Doxycycline. Bacterial infection?

Cardiac Surgeon
Hello im 66 years old and been prescribed Doxycycline 50mg taken 1 daily for 3 months or until I see a respiratory specialist Have had a sputum test then prescribed this medication till further notice . have medium degree of COPD and many chest infections recently. would like to know why and what Bacterial infection is being treated Thankyou XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. F. Sadruddin Shariff 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Doxycycline is used to treat pneumonias

Detailed Answer:

The fact that you have been prescribed Doxycycline after a test makes it appear that specific bacteria may have been found on smear or culture tests. This antibiotic as a whole is a broad spectrum bacteriostatic antibiotic and is useful to a broad group of bacteria - plenty of gram negative organisms and a few gram positive organism. Since its activity is very broad, it would be extremely difficult to guess the specific bacteria.

It appears that you have COPD to a certain extent which makes you susceptible to infections especially pneumonia. In all probability you have pneumonia which is caused by a bacteria which is sensitive to Doxycycline.

Besides pneumonia, it is also widely prescribed acne and rosacea. I hope you do not have this problem.

In brief, I think it would be difficult to guess the specific infection. If you have access to sputum test results, that would help you identify the type of infection. I would also like to add that 'prevention is better than cure'. Some of the simple things which you can practice are
1. Deep Breathing exercises
2. Daily Steam Inhalations
3. Avoidingf Air Pollution
4. Avoid contact with people suffering from Cold etc.
5. Avoid active and passive smoking

I hope you find this helpful. I would be happy to be of help medically.

All the best