Having Cholesterol and blood pressure. Getting pain between shoulder blades and upper left arm. Any cure?

I have a pain between my shoulder blades and upper left arm. Sometimes it is a shooting pain like a sting or a burn and other times it is a dull pain which makes sitting very difficult. It is also very itchy. I have been diagnosed with SLE lupus and wonder if it is all part of the syndrome. I am on Cholesterol and blood pressure tablets and was taken off Ibuprofen recently.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 26 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Your pain can be either a part of the SLE syndrome or due to cervical spondylosis.

SLE syndrome can lead to aches and pains over body and can also lead to localised neuropathy ( involvement of the nerves).

Shooting pains with occasional stings or burns can also be due to involvement of nerves in cervical spondylosis. It is advisable that you get yourself evaluated for the same.

Gabapentin is a good pain modulator which is quite helpful in such conditions. You can consult your physician for a prescription.
Till then, please maintain a proper posture ( back and neck straight) and do not excessively bend or twist your neck.
You will need an Xray of the cervical spine to start with. If you do have cervical spondylosis, a cervical collar will help a lot.
Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Having Cholesterol and blood pressure. Getting pain between shoulder blades and upper left arm. Any cure? 10 hours later
Thank you very much. That is the most helpful answer I have been given! The rheumatologist just told me that it wasn't coming from a bone and the GP locum only said that it wa a good sign if the pain wasn't always in one place as it does sometimes move further down my back although more recently it has been staying in the one place. I will follow up your suggestions and hopefully get an answer that I can deal with. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

I thank you for your appreciation. It is our responsibility to guide you with the best of our knowledge.

It is unlikely to be arising from bone as suggested by your Rheumatologist.
It appears to be arising from the nerves.

Do get back once you have been evaluated further.

Dr Kiran