Haver fluid in ear, getting popping sound. Taking claritin D and nasonex. Cause and cure?

ENT Specialist
Hello I have had fluid in my ear for over a month now and just last night started to have popping sounds. If I squeeze my eyes shutoff sounds and feels a little like a wet suction. After that it sounds like a carbonted drink for 10 seconds. Carbonation sound much worse when pulling on outer ear. The ear constantly feels wet. Already taking Claritin D and Nasonex. This is incredibly distracting. Please Help.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history, I do feel you are having Eustachian tube catarrh.

The popping sound is because of the noise made during opening and closing of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).

My suggestion to you is to stop using Claritin-D, because, both Claritin-D as well as nasonex are decongestants and using both will hinder in the process of clearance of middle ear fluid. Nasonex alone will suffice, also use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day along with nasonex. Saline spray keeps the mucosa moist, helps in easy clearance of the middle ear secretions by opening up of the Eustachian tube.

Apart form the above medications, you need to drink plenty of warm water. Warm water increases the blood supply to the tissues and reduces the nasal congestion and congestion around the opening of the Eustachian tube.

Also, do steam inhalalation 3-4 times a day. This also helps in the similar way as the saline spray does. Avoid smoking and coffee, chilled food and beverages.

Do not worry! With the above medications and measures you will definitely be alright.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon