Haven't had period for months. Will it affect my fertility?

Question
I was wondering why i havent had my period for 3 and 1/2 months?? Does this affect me of not having kids?? Please help??
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Since it has been close to 4 months that you have missed your periods, so apart from pregnancy other medical causes of delayed periods also need to be ruled out. We need to have a step by step approach for this.

First possibility for any missed periods is pregnancy and you have got a negative urine for pregnancy test. Pregnancy test kits are basically qualitative kind of test which just tests presence of hCG hormone in the urine of pregnant woman because this hormone is only produced during pregnancy among women.

But the level of HCG should be enough to show positive on urine for pregnancy test. While doing a urine for pregnancy test by pregnancy kits, there should be appearance of two lines which corresponds to a positive pregnancy test. You have to add two drops of the first morning sample of urine taken in a sterile container to the urine for pregnancy kit and wait for a few minutes.

If there is appearance of two vertical lines ( on T and C which are test and control) then it shows positive pregnancy test but if there is only one vertical line over C ( control) then it means negative pregnancy test.

You can also go for blood test which will give you more confirmatory diagnosis of presence of hCG and pregnancy. Ultrasonography is the best confirmatory test for a viable pregnancy and if your missed periods are due to pregnancy, it should come positive on an ultrasound scan.

So my advice is to get a serum HCG test and a repeat ultrasound done from a radiologist after consulting your gynecologist and if pregnancy is completely ruled out then we need to investigate for other causes of missed periods.

If pregnancy is ruled out then we need to investigate the other medical conditions causing missed periods. The causes may include conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. It could be hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, increased stress, eating disorder, increased smoking, alcohol or caffeine use, PCOS, fibroid, polyps and endometriosis or less frequently due to pituitary conditions.

If pregnancy is completely ruled out then these causes should be investigated by a gynecologist. If PCOS and other hormonal disorders are causing these delaying of periods then treating these will treat the amenorrhea. PCOS may interfere with fertility and decrease your chances of having kids. Hence it is better to confirm the cause and start the treatment.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Haven't had period for months. Will it affect my fertility? 6 hours later
is there anything i can do without going to see the doctor.. i am 230 lbs.. is that why i am not having one??

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

It is true that weight gain and weight loss can both interfere with periods. Moreover if you are overweight then thyroid causes like hypothyroidism should also be ruled out.

Before consulting a doctor, you can do a urine for pregnancy test in the manner i Have explained. Otherwise you can also get your serum HCG levels checked from a lab. If pregnancy is ruled out then other causes should be ruled out. For this you need to consult a gynecologist.

Wishing you good health,