Haven't had period for long. have sore breast and pregnancy symptoms. Is it normal?

Hi Doc, I'm 51 year old and I do not have period for more than one year. My both breasts are very sore, the same pregnant symptoms and it has been for almost 3 weeks. I'm really worried about that. Is it normal, what should I do?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Check your FSH & Prolactin levels. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for sharing your problem with us. If a woman stops having periods at around 50 years of age, number one diagnosis is menopause. Although, it is not necessary to confirm this by lab tests, but, since you are having pregnancy/ breast symptoms, it is necessary that you have some tests to relieve your anxiety. Check your serum FSH level. This is usually very high in post-menopausal ladies. Secondly, check your serum prolactin levels, this hormone may be high in women with breast symptoms & loss of menstruation. Third possibility could be exogenous intake of hormones. If you are taking any medicine ( even herbal), this may have a role in your symptom complex. So, consult a doctor first. Hope I have given you some helpful suggestions. Please write back if you want to discuss this further. Wish you good health. Best regards.
Follow-up: Haven't had period for long. have sore breast and pregnancy symptoms. Is it normal? 12 hours later
Doc. Thank you very much!!! I appreciate. So I'm going to visit my family in Brazil and then I will go to see my doctor there. I'm feeling much better. I was concerned that could be something else. Is it normal to happen in menopause? I mean breast tenderness? Thanks a lot!
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Breast tenderness is not usual for menopause. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome back & thanks for your response. I am happy that you are feeling better. No, it is not usual to have breast tenderness during menopause. This usually happens if there is some hormone production in body or presence of hormones from an outside source. That is why I suggested you the above mentioned two tests, to rule out these possibilities. If both tests are within the expected range for menopause, then this "extra" hormone theory is out. The only thing you should do is to have a breast examination by a doctor, to rule out presence of a lump. If all is normal, you may go for a Mammogram to reassure yourself further. Breast cancer is a diagnosis that MUST be ruled out in any woman with breast symptoms. REMEMBER, most breast lumps are painless. So, this diagnosis is very unlikely in your case, but, just for your own safety, you must rule this out. Hope I have not stressed you much & you get my point, that this is only routine work up for this age & symptoms. Wish you all the best for your journey & life. Take care.
Follow-up: Haven't had period for long. have sore breast and pregnancy symptoms. Is it normal? 17 hours later
Hi Dr.Kulsoom, I'm very grateful for your response. It help a lot. Have a lovely day!!! Best regards, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: You are always welcome here with all your health related queries. Take care.