Haven't had an outbreak of herpes for years. Can I have sex without using a condom?

Mar 2013
I haven't had a out break of herpes for over 20 years. Does this mean I still have the diease or is it cured? Or can I still expose my partner? I am 64 years old. Can I now have sex without using a condom?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Herpes is an infection that lasts a lifetime.
You are lucky in having an outbreak - free life .
However, you can still be asymptomatic and continue to shed the herpes virus.
So yes, to answer your question, as long as you remain sexually active, please continue to use protection regularly, as you would otherwise definitely expose your partner to risk.
All the best, and please feel free to discuss further if you wish.
Good day.