Haven't had a menstrual cycle in over 5 years. Keep getting pimples on legs and torso as well as rashes.

I haven't been to a doctor in over a decade. I haven't had a menstrual cycle in over 5 years. I keep getting these pimples on my legs and torso as well as these rashes.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Absence of menses for more than 3 months is called secondary amenorrhea and in your case, this possibility along with premature menopause need to be ruled out. To rule out secondary amenorrhea (absence of menstruation), Blood tests may be ordered to examine the levels of ovarian, pituitary, and thyroid hormones. Imaging studies, such as ultrasound and CT or MRI scanning may also be needed.

Causes of secondary amenorrhea include stress and anxiety, malnutrition, depression, overexercising, sudden weight loss or gain (obesity),thyroid disorders and hormonal imbalance due to polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS).Sometimes tumors of the ovaries and brain may also cause absence of menstruation. All these causes need to be ruled out by the above mentioned investigations.

I have seen the photos and the small pimples look like folliculitis. It is caused by irritation and inflammation of the hair follicles. It is usually caused by irritation, infections like bacteria and yeasts and other noninfectious skin conditions.
For folliculitis, keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams. It can be avoided by exercising good hygiene. Topical antibiotics like Clindamycin and Neosporin which are usually available over the counter are effective.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.