Have yellow diarrhea. Having pain under ribs and mild chest pain. Remedy?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have had yellow diarrhea for 3 days pain under my ribs and mild chest pains for 1 day
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query
Short lasting diarrhoeas just need symptomatic treatment unless associated with high fever or blood in the stools.
You may avoid milk for couple of weeks have some probiotics and increase fibre and liquid intake. Some antisecretory medications like racecodotril may be used initially if stools are very watery, large volume and freqent.
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Have yellow diarrhea. Having pain under ribs and mild chest pain. Remedy? 6 minutes later
What about the pain under the middle of my ribs and now the chest pains??

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 8 hours later
Hi and thanks for the followup
Pain in case of acute diarrhoea could be because of the
1) Myalgia or muscle pains associated with viral infections or the effects of toxins associated with the infections. The infectius agent can also cause associated involvement of the lungs or the pleural cavity resulting in lower chest and upper abdominal symptoms
2) The reffered discomfort of the forceful intestinal contractions induced by a irritable inflammed intestine can also produce these symptoms
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Have yellow diarrhea. Having pain under ribs and mild chest pain. Remedy? 37 hours later
Hello and thankyou it has been a few days and the diarreah has subsided but I now have thin (same color) yellow stools with a slight pain right below my rib cage in the center at the v of the cage?? And still get light headed from time to time

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 10 hours later
Hi and thanks for the follow up
The stool consistency is likely to gradually improve. Continue the same medications and avoid milk for a total of 2 weeks. You may add a multivitamin containing atleast 20mg of zinc (twice a day) as it aids intestinal recovery
If you feel the discomfort is significant get a stool routine examination on couple of days.
Dr XXXXXXX