Have yeast infection, small, itchy purple spots inside labia. What is causing this?

I have two small purple spots on the inside of my labia, what could cause this? I am also itchy as if i have a yeast infection but no odor or discharge.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
There are many possible causes for purple spots of labia. More common causes are allergic reaction, infection, fixed drug reaction, pigmentation problems like benign vulvar melanosis, lentigo etc.

Some discolouration can occur due to previous infection or even STDs.

Most commonly it is benign and not XXXXXXX in most cases. Usually no treatment is required if it is Benign Melanosis, but needs to be evaluated thoroughly for surgical excision.
The itching of vagina can be due to allergy to some detergents or fabrics, vaginitis or yeast infection or prolonged stress and poor hygiene. The exact diagnosis can only be made after a detailed examination.
In most of these cases oral antifungals and antibiotics are needed like azithromycin to get a relief.
To prevent and treat this prolonged itching:
1. Avoid colored or perfumed toilet tissue and bubble bath.
2. Avoid feminine hygiene sprays and douches
3. Change out of wet clothing, especially wet bathing suits or exercise clothing, as soon as possible.
4. Cleanse the area by wiping or washing from front to back (vagina to anus) after urinating or having a bowel movement.
5. Eat yogurt with live cultures or take Lactobacillus acidophilus tablets when using antibiotics. Check with your doctor.
6. Keep your genital area clean and dry. Use plain, unscented soap.
7.Lose weight if you are overweight.
8.Wear cotton panties or pantyhose with a cotton crotch. Avoid panties made from synthetic materials.
9. Get your fasting blood sugar checked to rule out diabetes.
It is also helpful to:
* Avoid overexertion, heat, and excessive sweating.
* Avoid scratching, which will only aggravate the problem.
* Delay sexual activity until your symptoms get better, or use a lubricant during intercourse.
* Use condoms to avoid catching or spreading sexually transmitted diseases.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.