Have yeast infection. Spots on vagina. History of miscarriages. What causes the skin discolouration?

I have symptoms of a yeast infection though I've never had one before. In addition I notice a purplish tinge to the area around inside of inner labia. Near entrance to vagina. One side has bigger spot. Other side has tiny spot. Both flat. No pain. I've never noticed this before. Just had a negative pap test in April. 40 yes old. No med history. One baby. 2 miscarriages. This showed uo out of nowhere. I do have that itchy feeling like I have a yeast inf. What are these skin discolorations!?!?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
There are many possible causes for discoloration of labia minora. More common causes like allergic reaction, infection, fixed drug reaction, pigmentation problems like benign vulvar melanosis, lentigo etc.

Some discolouration can occur due to previous infection or even STDs.

Most commonly it is benign and not XXXXXXX in most cases. Usually no treatment is required if it is Benign Melanosis.
If you have recently changed sanitary pad brand, it can cause allergic dermatitis as well which can present in similar fashion which may be associated with itching in most cases.

Do drink plenty of water to prevent symptoms of urine you may need to get a urine test as well.

Do consult your Gynaecologist and get a thorough evaluation for most of the above mentioned pathologies and also discuss the possibility of drug reaction as well. A vaginal swab culture will help in identifying any yeast infection.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.