Have xanthelasma on the upper and lower eyelid. Temporary relief from cauterisation. Safe remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012
Good

Dermatologist
Question
I have xanthalesma on the left upper and lower eyelids. I have done cauterisation twice, the relief is temporary and the patches appear after some time
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
If my understanding of the issue is correct, you have Xanthelasma only of the left side ie unilateral?
Cauterisation is one way to address the issue..i take it you mean 'chemical cauterisation' with an acid...or was it using an electric cautery?
Can you please be so kind as to upload a good clear digital photograph on this web site & will be better placed to give you an opinion.
Regds & await your response to take this further.
Best,
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore

Follow-up: Have xanthelasma on the upper and lower eyelid. Temporary relief from cauterisation. Safe remedy? 4 minutes later
I had under chemical cauterisation

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 6 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX
Cauterisation is a good procedure. However, recurrences may happen..have you checked your lipid profile? While most patients with xanthelasma have no issues with lipid profile, a very very smalll segment do...worth considering doing a fasting lipid profile test.
Furthermore, one may consider laser ablation using Nd-Yag or Co2 lasers depending on the dermatologists' experience.
Good Luck & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Have xanthelasma on the upper and lower eyelid. Temporary relief from cauterisation. Safe remedy? 2 days later

Just before cauterisation was done, I had done a lipid profile and it was within limits.

If laser treatment is done, what are the chances of recurrance? As there is no physical discomfort, I had not been to the dermatalogist since it recurred after the 2nd cauterisation, but would like to know if there is a permanent cure for xanthelasma.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX ..
the risk of recurrence after laser surgery is the same as with cauterisation perhaps marginally better but most push for the former on account of the renumeration.
no permanent cure but usually if it is taken away properly, it stays away for more than 5 years or so for sure (has in my pt experience) ...so that is a fair result..it all depends on the skill levels of the dermatologist/cosmetologist u are dealing with. Good Luck once again..if in Blore, feel free to drop in to consult...Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD