Have white spots on nails. Diagnosed with osgood-schlatter syndrome in both knees. Are these related?

Hi. My son is 14 yrs old. He has white spots on his nails ( all 10 ). He has also been under dental treatment for molar-incisor hypomineralization . He also has very soft toenails which tear easily. He was also diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter syndrome in both knees. One knee is still very painful.
I wish to know if there is any co-relation between all these.
Also, does he need any supplements?
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Osgood-Schlatter syndrome is a condition seen in adolescents and is caused by stress on patellar tendon. It is more common in boys due to their greater participation is sports and risk activities.

The hypomineralization of the teeth and white spots on the nails do not have any co-relation with Osgood-Schlatter syndrome. The white spots on the nails are not always related to hypomineralization. However one needs to investigate for hypomineralization with a whole battery of tests which the treating doctors must have suggested:
1. Calcium, phosphorus and magnesium levels in blood
2. Vitamin D levels
3. Hormone assays for parathormone and thyroid hormones

As regards your query for supplementation, it shall depend on the above investigations. Hypomineralization will not be just affecting his teeth but his whole skeletal system. So, do discuss with the treating doctor(s).

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Feel free to write back for further discussion, if required.

Wishing your son all the best...