Ask a Dentist   »  

Have white spot on gum, started disappearing. Should I be worried?

Hi if a white spot on my gum is slowly disappearing over the course of a week is it anything to worry about?
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

After going through your query I would like you to know that gums normally do not have a white spot over them until some kind of trauma causes it.

I hope that the white spot is symptomless and the size is decreasing.

It is absolutely alright if the white spot is disappearing on its own. I would be glad to guide you better if you could post the picture of the lesion here. You can also mail the image to

with subject line as “ Attention Dr Bibhu Dutt Nanda”

If you have any further queries feel free to write back to us.

Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: Have white spot on gum, started disappearing. Should I be worried? 16 minutes later
I cannot seem to take a clear picture but I do suffer from anxiety and wanted to make sure that if the spot decreases on its own and that it is nothing to worry about. It's still a little painful when I wash my mouth with antiseptic, just wanted to make sure that if it decreases on its own that its truly nothing to worry about.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 4 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to us,

I appreciate you for using a mouthwash as it will take care of any infection if present.

Yes, it is absolutely okay for the white spot to disappear on it own.

Do not worry and continue using the mouthwash twice/day until the white spot disappears completely.

I wish you good health.