Have white pimple like bumps on scrotum. How to remove this?

Mar 2013
Hello, My name is XXXXXXX I have these white pimple like bumps on my scrotum. They don't hurt or anything, they don't pop when i atempt to pop them. I have tried lancing them with a sterile needle when i do a puss like substance comes out i have one small cluster of about 6 in a nickle sized area and a few others around the scrotum sizes range the biggest one i have is a little bigger then a pea the others are significantly smaller.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

White bumps on the testicles are commonly mistaken as a sexually transmitted disease, and cause undue worry. Most of the time it's the natural occurrence known as Fordyce's spots. Fordyce's spots are normal occurrences on the genital area. The typical spots are small, painless white spots or nodules located on the shaft of the penis or on the scrotum. There is no treatment needed for Fordyce's spots. In fact, lancing them or poking around them unnecessarily could lead to infection. It is due to overactivity of the sebaceous glands, and it sounds like this is what you have, with the description you give.

Another cause of small white bumps on the scrotum would be folliculitis or in lay terms, clogged hair follicles. This is an inflammation in the hair follicles which is known to be a cosmetic condition. This condition often is self limiting and resolves within a few days. However if infected, the condition may spread to other follicles. Hence again, messing wtih them by yourself doesnt make much sense.

Other causes could be sexually transmitted diseases, molluscum contagiosum ( viral infection ), contact dermatitis etc.

However, these are differentials, and I guess what you have are Fordyce's spots. Please remember that no diagnosis can be confirmed without an examination, so please consult your Physician, since you have already tried to XXXXXXX them.

Meanwhile, a few pointers to help you :

1. DO NOT TOUCH THEM !! They are causing you no pain or any symptoms, so leave them alone.

2. Avoid Tight undergarments or undergarments made up of synthetic material . Avoid excessive perspiration, keep the genital area dry and maintain genital hygiene. Avoid sharing towels, clothes or wash cloths with anyone. Avoid shaving pubic hair too closely, as it increases risk of folliculitis.

3. If sexually active, always ensure it is protected sex, and you and your partner are completely tested.

4. Clean the affected part with antibacterial solution , such as benzoyl peroxide, twice a day to get rid of dead skin cells and keep the pores unclogged. Local application of diluted tea tree oil is considered to be very beneficial. Tea tree oil has strong anti microbial properties, which help in keeping the skin of the scrotum clean.

Hope this helps you
Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.