Have white patches on tonsils and roof of mouth after taking tylenol for tonsillitis. Should I be worried?

Good Morning. This is a weird question, but my son is teaching in Thailand and has a horrible case of tonsillitis. He went to the doctor three days ago and received an injection of antibiotic. He has been running a low grade temperature. He was also given extra strength Tylenol for the discomfort. He has some white patches on the tonsils and roof of mouth. The swelling is down this morning and a bit better; however, he has some red blisters on the tips of his fingers and around his nails which are sore and he has some blisters and red patches on his forehead. His mother and I are really upset in that we can't do anything half way around the world. Do you have any ideas? I forgot to tell you that he is also taking an oral antibiotic as well - he thinks it is an amoxicillin derivative, but is not sure. They are 12 hours ahead of us and he says that he must teach tomorrow in that he has already missed three days of school. He seems to be attentive, but the throat and blisters on the fingers hurt. He is miserable. It does not appear to me to be an allergic reaction because the blisters on his fingers hurt. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Streptococcal or Staph infection Detailed Answer: Hi, As it reads the most probable reason is your son has severe streptococcal infection or Staphylococcal infection. It could be erysipelas or staph scald syndrome. He needs Amoxycillin plus clavulinic acid injections for at least three days twice a day followed by oral antibiotics for five more days. In such cases we generally admit the person in the hospital to prevent spread and complications. Along with the antibiotic he needs Ibuprofen plus paracetmol three times a day as a five day course. Antacid with Omeprazole will reduce the chances of stress plus antibiotic induced gastritis. A lot of water needs to be consumed during the stressful period. He definitely needs admission now and bed rest later till the time he clears off all the infection. Else he may spread it to others. Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Have white patches on tonsils and roof of mouth after taking tylenol for tonsillitis. Should I be worried? 59 minutes later
OK, we did find out some information regarding my son. He has hand, foot and mouth. He must have picked it up from a student at his elementary school. Is it true that adults don't get it that frequently AND all they have given him is Tylenol. They also recommended a food supplement so that he is able to get some nutrition. He was told to just lay low until Monday. Is there anything else he can do for his discomfort. Again, he is running a low-grade temperature - 39.2 C. Thanks for any suggestions. We just need some advice here. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rest and fluids is all he needs in HFMD Detailed Answer: If it is HFMD virus. Do not worry. Adults can contract it as well. It just needs some rest and it will settle with bodily defences. Tylenol helps. As I said it still spreads. So he should keep taking Tylenol, enough fluids and good nutrition to get rid of it quickly. One thing for sure he need to catch a lot of rest to get better quicker.
Follow-up: Have white patches on tonsils and roof of mouth after taking tylenol for tonsillitis. Should I be worried? 8 minutes later
It is not bacterial, but rather hand, foot and mouth disease. Is there any treatment other than Tylenol? He is isolated from his seven-month-old son and we are concerned about contaminating the baby; however, we understand that infants do not typically get HFM disease. Is that correct? Any other suggestions? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: As I said, Tylenol plus Ibuprofen are best guns in terms of medication. Most virus infections are treated for symptoms as the virus dies by itself against body defense. Body defenses function well when the person rests well and keep stress away with good diet. HFMV is typically spread in day care centers or kids before schooling starts. However there are exceptions for such general statements.