Have white patches on face. Not cured by clotebate -gm. What should be done?

my 5 year old son has 2-3 white spots on his face which are getting prominent day by day from last 20 days, please advise.i have been using clotebate -gm (from last one week), like this has happened earlier also , but no visible results, rather the patches have become prominent.
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later

I will be glad to be of assistance and will surely answer all your queries till you get a satisfactory answer.

I reviewed the pictures and it seems to be a condition called pityriasis XXXXXXX

Its very common in children and its a harmless condition. We refer to it as an eczema and all it requires is a moisturizer and it resolves over time.

The cream that you are applying (clobetasol) is too strong and needs to be discontinued.

The cream itself can increase the white spots in size as white spots which we refer to as hypopigmentation (decreased pigmentation) is a side effect of the cream.

Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.

Follow-up: Have white patches on face. Not cured by clotebate -gm. What should be done? 12 hours later
Thanks Doc, we had used clop when he was an infant. i will discontinue it as you say , i will use vaseline for moisturising as normal moisturiser (lakme) doesnot seem so effective ( as he is getting very dry skin) or can you suggest any medicated moisturiser.
Thanks and regards
Answered by Dr. Kruti 13 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

You can use medicated moisturizer called oilatum lotion.

There is a solution available called oilatum emollient. One cap has to be added to one bucket of bath water. That also helps to moisturize dry skin.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Let me know if I can assist you further.