Have white patches inside nose which crust and bleed. What could it be?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi
I have white patches inside my nose which crust and bleed , what is it please? I also have had an antroscopy?about 1 to 2 years ago due to a scan showing my maxillary sinus completely full and requiring draining/cleaning. I also have warts inside my nose which were checked during surgery but wernt removed but Im not sure why. I was told not to worry about any cancer. The white patches are on my septum not on the warts and in both nostrils and dont itch but get a little sore at times.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause for white patches inside the nose which crust and bleed will be local fungal infection. A nasal endoscopy and biopsy can confirm the diagnosis.

2. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done with 1 mm coronal, axial and sagittal cuts. You may share the images (not the report) here for an accurate assessment. A close-up image of the white patches on the septum and the nasal warts will help.

3. Common nasal warts are usually due to HPV (Human Papilloma Virus). They are not considered XXXXXXX but may be removed by radio-frequency ablation.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have white patches inside nose which crust and bleed. What could it be? 16 minutes later
Thankyou Dr Bhatti,
I was given Naseptin and Bactriban about 6 months ago ,doctor didnt say what my problem was and after one cream didnt work he tried the second. Neither had any effect whatsoever and Im constantly having crusty bleeding blockages each day.Im going to see another doctor soon, what type of treatment do you believe may be appropriate if it is fungal as you suggest?
Thank you for allaying my fears about the warts on my septum.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. Naseptin (chlorhexidine and neomycin) and Bactroban (mupirocin) are anti-bacterial ointments. Use a combination with an anti-fungal and a steroid such as Betnovate GM or an equivalent. Nasal steroid sprays may help.

2. Get a nasal endoscopy to rule out atrophic rhinitis and other conditions which cause a lot of crusting.

3. If a biopsy confirms fungal infection, let your doctor decide about oral anti-fungal agents.Oral anti-fungals have many side effects and hence you should be absolutely sure that there is a fungal infection before taking these orally.

Regards.