Have white hardened spot on the top of tongue. Noticed black spots. Could it be irritation or a callus?

Jul 2012

Hi, I have a white hardened spot about the size of an eraser head on the top left side of my tongue. I believe I've had for a couple of weeks. Today I noticed a black spot in the middle (blood or blister?). I believe I tend to rub my tongue on the roof of my mouth a lot, so I was wondering if it could be irritation or a callus.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 hours later
Hi there.
How long have you had it for more specifically..couple of weeks could mean 2-3 or ? 6 mths. Is it slowly growing in size? Is there any tenderness? Yes, it can very much be friction induced. What concerns me is the black spot in the middle.
Is there any glandular swellings undersurface of tongue or left side neck or behind the ears etc? Is it possible for you to upload a good clear 5 mega pixel or more photograph of said lesion onto this web site portal? may do so using the 'upload data' icon that i understand is on the bottom right of your screen.
From my initial assessment of things, this 'growth' will have to be excised in toto & biopsied. Dont worry, it seems pretty routine & this is not to alarm you but to err on the side of caution. Cheers & await your response.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have white hardened spot on the top of tongue. Noticed black spots. Could it be irritation or a callus? 58 minutes later
I tried uploading a picture but it was not very clear at all. Upon further inspection, the black dot really isn't there now. This morning it looked like there was a blood blister on side of spot sort of pushing through, now that is gone. I think I've likely had this for a couple of months. I've become more and more aware of me thrusting/pushing my tongue against teeth and roof of mouth. This spot seems to go right against my upper left teeth. I've been told I clench/grind my teeth. I think I do much of this at night. I will get it looked at by dentist, but I do feel it is friction induced at this point. There is no pain, swelling of glands or tenderness. Or any other symptoms. If I can get a clear picture I will send. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 13 minutes later
HEY There.
Not to worry. I get a clear picture from your description.
See the dentist. It is likely to be friction induced.
However, best to biopsy these things from my experience & take out the entire lesion as often, it will take long to heal otherwise. Your protruding tooth or sharp edge needs to be taken care of also.
Cheers & Good luck. I dont mean to alarm you but being the devil's advocate & giving you an objective opinion. Do hope it is a benign growth (as it seems by all accounts) & the tooth fairy takes care of that protruding tooth. Perhaps the use of a custom made 'night guard' while sleeping is the way forward to sort the grinding i speak from personal experience ..:) cheers! Do give us a shout to let us know all is well after ur visit to the dentist!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD