Have white hair and started yellow patches. Side effects of medicines?

Dermatologist
Question
Thank you for t he info. I have another question that is about my hair. I have white hair but it suddenly has started to get ugly yellow patches. My hair dresser has tried everything. It wont even take a XXXXXXX Could this be from my meds? My doctors done seem to have an answer either. thanki you
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yellow patch on scalp may be some skin disease.

Detailed Answer:

You have white hairs and they may be normal. But your concern is yellow patches on scalp.

I would like to have photograph of scalp having yellow patch.

Do you have itching or pain on the lesion?

Is there oozing?

From how many days you have this lesion?

Did you take any medicine?

Do you have family history of similar or other disease?

Please post the photo. So that I can give proper advice.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Follow-up: Have white hair and started yellow patches. Side effects of medicines? 4 hours later

No its not my scalp It is the hair itself that has patches of yellow. My hair dresser has tried to color over the yellow and it wont take. I just wondered if anyone else has the problem from sarcoidosis (that Ihave) and or the meds I take. I have a lot
of hair for my age, 77. This is a problem because thepatches are ugly.

Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yellowish hairs may be age related.

Detailed Answer:

I apologize for misreading your query. There may be many processes that causes silver or white hair to turn yellow.

It may be an age-related pigment change, but it also could be due to any one of various external influences.

Because gray and white hair doesn't contain any of the pigment that colors younger hair, it tends to show colors of foreign materials picked up from water (from the shower or swimming pools for example) or even from pollutants in the air.

Smoking can cause both the hair and fingernails to yellow. Yellowing can also be due to residues from shampoos or other hair care products.

There are no reports found that hairs have become yellowish in form of disease. So, you do not worry. The yellow hairs have no relevance from disease point of you.

It may be the texture of hairs, that they area are difficult to color by your hair dresser.

Hope this answers your query now. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Thanks

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD