Have white coated tongue. Having burning sensation on roof of tongue. Have swollen lymph nodes in groin and neck. What could this be?

ENT Specialist
Hi now I have had a white coated tongue now for 8 months more so at the back of the tongue and the roof of my mouth is also white half of it anyway,I get a burning sensation on the roof of my tongue mainly of a night time now I went to the doctors he said it was thrush had medication for like 3 months and nothing worked,so he order a tongue scrapping to see what it came back as ,now it it came back as nothing,now half way through the 8 months prolly more so at 6 months I have have swollen lymph nodes in groin and neck very small under the skin but I can feel them if I push down on my skin,the one on my left side of my groin I can feel easily and is hard and sometimes hurts to touch could u help me to find out what this could be
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 54 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. There are some possibilities that you must discuss with your doctor:
a. Sinusitis, post nasal drip, chronic tonsillitis may co-exist.
b. Dehydration is a common cause for a coated tongue.
c. Decreased Salivation.
d. Fungal infections and 'biofilm' formation.

2. Get a Neck and Abdomen USG (Ultrasound) done. An FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the lymph node in the groin and , if possible, from the neck under USG guidance may help identify the cause.

3. As such, the neck and groin lymph nodes are from diverse regions of lymphatic drainage and hence there may be a generalized cause. Do insist on blood investigations to rule out any immunodeficiency or infection.

4. You may share any investigations, such as clinical examination notes, blood investigations, USG and FNAC results for further treatment options.

I must emphasize that this may a common treatable problem and not a cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.