Have white blotches on chest and shoulder. What is the treatment?

Hello. Back in August, we went to Hawaii. Towards the end of the trip my tan looked like it was disappearing into white blotches. I didn't think much of it but now I itch all over the blotches and it has spread to my shoulders and chest. My shoulders itch the worst and it's been keeping me up at night. I have a trip to Mexico in December and I'd really like to get rid of whatever it is before that. Please advise. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pitiriasis versicolor Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. The most likley diagnosis given the pictures and the recent trip with taning would be pitiriasis versicolor, which is a bening fungal infection that can become more evident after tanning. Spots may either be dark or clear and the most common symptom is itching. Tretament involves regular use, 2-3 times a day of a topical cream such as clotrimazole or miconazole at 1%, until lesions resolve. Yours truly, Dr Brenes Salazar Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Have white blotches on chest and shoulder. What is the treatment? 5 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 days later
Brief Answer: Welcome! Detailed Answer: Most welcome Jenn, best regards