Have weight loss, memory loss, itching and burning eye. Found borderline for thyroid. Related?

Nov 2013

Hi ,
I am extremely concerned about my mum , she is 56 years old , alway held high positions in her career , but over the last year i have notice some changes , first my mum has put on lost of weigh although she eats very little and keeps a food diary, the there is memory loss, and her eyes are constantly red inflammed and flaking , she says ther eyes are extremely ichty and burn ,

We have been to dr about weight gain who took blood test which came back borderline for thyriod problems so dr would not give any medication, her eyes she is constanly been given hydrocotisone cream for and she has had memory test which the dr could not tell us what was wrong but confirmed there were two major areas in her memeory that was a problem we were told to wait a year for more test to see is the memory is in decline!!
is there a correlation with all these symptoms .
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Any memory decline needs to be investigated, especially as your mum is relatively young (57 years). Based on your description, memory impairment seems to be mild in nature.

Thyroid deficiency could be linked to memory decline. I would feel that even if it is mild or borderline, it should be treated, as your mum could benefit with thyroid replacement therapy.

In addition, thyroid antibodies in the blood should also be tested, as there is an entity called as Hashimoto's encephalopathy, where the affected person can have thyroid problems and memory impairment.

The eye condition is not related to her other two problems.

She should also undergo a brain scan (CT or MRI scan) and a blood test for vitamin B12 level, to find out if there are any other reasons for her memory lapses.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist