Have watery stool. Taking essential vitamins, aloe vera and Mangostine. Taking yogurt in diet. What do you recommend?

Question
I have watery stool for more than one year. I grew up with normal bowel movement one time per day and semi hard. I am 53 1/2 years old. In very good health and in good exercise. Now I wake up in the morning early and go to the bathroom five times and it is very watery and has been that way for over one year. The only changes in my life are three years ago I started to make homemade wine I drink two glasses per day. 1.5 years ago I started using the Vemoa product for healthy drink. This is 65 plant trace minerals, 12 essential vitamins, aloe vera, green tea extract, and Mangostine. It also has digestive enzymes in at lactose cellulose and lipase. I feel great every day in fact I have not been sick for over one year. I almost feel like I have a mild cleansing every day. I have eaten yogurt for over 30 years every day. I had stopped eating for about three months and noticed the watery stool got worse. It would stink very badly. So I introduced yogurt back into my diet and it seemed to help me my stomach did not gurgle as much. In fact it helped me make it thru the day without having to go again. I also about 1.5 years ago started cooking with healthy oil such as olive oil or grapeseed oil. I eat very healthy and I eat approximately five times per day every 3 to 4 hours. In fact I follow XXXXXXX XXXXXXX way of eating and healthy food. I am 5 foot 10 and 174 pounds and in pretty good health. For the past five years I use an inhaler one time per day. That is the only medication I am on. If I eat any type of oily food or food with a sauce during the day I will have to go to the bathroom within 30 minutes and it will be very watery. I have drink coffee all my life usually 3 cups per day. I also have approximately two glasses of water per day 16 ounce. I do not get any type of stomach cramps or any type of sick feeling. I just feel like I have a lot of gas and For a lack of better term I feel like a cesspool inside. There is some type of correlation between the yogurt probiotics and helping and with how fast food is being digested in my system and broken down to a watery substance. Do you have any ideas or anything I should do to try and change this back to where I was with going to the bathroom one time per day with a hard stool. While writing this I had just ate my breakfast I had an omelette with cheese and vegetables sautéed inside and it was only 15 minutes ago and I already have to go to the bathroom. Good news I feel great and I do not get sick twice a year anymore but the bad news is something changed in my digestive system and I need an answer because this is an embarrassing way to live.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ribose or loss of commensal floura

Detailed Answer:

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Gastroenterology, working with an experienced Nutritionist . I answer on his behalf.

I appreciate the elaborate history you provided.

Based on the history I suspect two possibilities,

One is the Ribose present in the VEMMA supplement you are taking. This is known to reduce the blood sugar levels at the same time increases the sugar levels in the stools inside the intestines. This sugar acts as osmotic drive and pulls the water into the intestine and presents with loose stools. Stopping Vemma for few days would help to confirm the fact.

The other possibility is loss of normal commensal bacterial floura in the intestinal mucosa. This can alter the histological features and lead to malabsorption presenting with loose stools. Taking probiotic supplements may help. Yogurt is one such example.

Also I would ask you to get a complete analysis of the stool from microscopy test to bacterial culture. This may give hint to the possible cause amongst above.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: Have watery stool. Taking essential vitamins, aloe vera and Mangostine. Taking yogurt in diet. What do you recommend? 21 hours later
I understand the ribose so if I stopped the Vemma product 3 days ago how long in a normal situation can it take to start seeing a change in the stool? Does it take time for your body to switch back over? And is eating yogurt enough for probiotics or is it as you get older that you need more flora supplements? In my blood test that you suggest, what should I be looking for in the results (good or bad indicators). One last question, in the Vemma there is aloe, does this affect people with watery stool and how common is that or what are the chances?

Thank you,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers for your questions are below

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

1) how long in a normal situation can it take to start seeing a change in the stool? Does it take time for your body to switch back over?

-- Yes, it does take time for your body to switch back to normal excretion. Since it was a long term affection I would consider weeks to a month for the normal health to return.

2) And is eating yogurt enough for probiotics or is it as you get older that you need more flora supplements?

I recommend probiotic supplements considering the age and the long duration of the problem.

3) In my blood test that you suggest, what should I be looking for in the results (good or bad indicators).

--- I suggested stool examination not blood tests. This is to rule out chronic bacterial infection.

4) aloe, does this affect people with watery stool and how common is that or what are the chances?

--- It is a stool softner, but not effective so as to cause long term loose stool.