Have watery mucous in bowels, stomach gurgling, abdomen bloating and weight loss. Had D and C for miscarriage. Suggest?

General Surgeon
My bowel movements not normal watery mucous I have lots of gurgling in my stomach usually after I eat then sometimes urgency to go. I feel bloated not really abdominal pain but just uncomfortable lost 4 pounds cause I was scared to eat but then gained back 2 when started eating more. I recently had a D&C in July for a missed miscarriage then all this started to flare up
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly it is an intestinal amebiasis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

The digestive problem you have may not be related to the D&C which you had in the recent past.

It looks more like a infection of your stomach and intestines by some bacteria/parasite which is more so if you have got a habit of eating from outside your home. If that is the case, then please stop eating from outside, and get your stool tested for ova and cyst and even a culture sensitivity test. Your symptoms of bloating and gurgling with mucous in the stool along with urgency to pass stool after eating goes more in favour of amebiasis, which is a common problem worldwide. The stool test will show it. You have to discuss the matter with your family physician, who may give you a course of anti amoebic drug along with a probiotic and a proton pump inhibitor.

If you have gained your weight back after losing for a short while due to inadequate diet, then we can exclude any chronic graulomatous inflammation of the intestines, where constant weight loss is a feature.

Once you recover, you have to take care of your diet with only home made items containing a lot of roughage and sufficient liquids.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, please do not hesitate to ask me again.

Thanks for using the XXXXXXX portal to clear your doubts on health issues. Good luck.

Follow-up: Have watery mucous in bowels, stomach gurgling, abdomen bloating and weight loss. Had D and C for miscarriage. Suggest? 10 minutes later
I also have a clear to yellow discharge that ocasionally comes out when i pass gas no odor to it really.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This can also happen in amebiasis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ! I appreciate your immediate response which shows your concern for your health.

Passing of yellow discharge occasionally specially when passing gases occurs normally in some who are little incontinent. But in your case, it possibly is due to the same reason I mentioned earlier, that is ameobiasis. So better discuss with your family physician on it and get the treatment.

In case it persists after treatment, and troubles you, then you may have to take appointment with a gastro enterologist for a possible endoscopic evaluation of your intestines.

I hope this clears your doubt. If there is any thing else related to it, you are welcomed to ask. Otherwise you may close the discussion with ranking the answer. Thanks and take care.
Follow-up: Have watery mucous in bowels, stomach gurgling, abdomen bloating and weight loss. Had D and C for miscarriage. Suggest? 30 minutes later
Is this life threatening im very nervous as i am a nurse and always think the worse. I have been to my pcp and they feel its IBS but i dont buy it only labs were done no stool samples even when i asked they said not necissary
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety can add to your symptoms more.

Detailed Answer:
Hi !

I understand that because of your profession you are more aware of all types of complicated problems which one might have and so are more anxious. I would suggest you not to be anxious at all as the anxiety itself may also cause more hypermotility of the intestines adding to your discomfort.

No ! This is not at all life threatning, and forget about getting nervous. IBS ( giving rise to similar symptoms as yours are excluded or treated without any result. If it comes out to be amebiasis, then it is fully curable. Also many other infections of the intestines are curable. Even though the stool test might not show anything at times, but it is a routine and inexpensive test which should be done in any case. You may have to discuss and convince your physician about it.

Therefore, first thing you must do is to alleviate your anxiety factor. Good luck.