Have wart on thumb. Rancid smell coming out and feeling sensitive. Should I be worried?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have a wart on my thumb that i initially cut off. It grew back but there is no skin on it so it's pretty large and nasty looking. I've been soaking it in hot salt water and putting salt on it, and covering it with a band aid for about 9 days. It seems to be getting smaller, and starting to heal. It's pretty moist when the band aid comes off, and it has a kind of rancid smell. It's sensitive, but I figured that's likely because it isn't covered with skin since I cut it off. Should I be worried about the smell/sensitivity, or should I just keep going with the salt until its gone.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

A small word of caution - Never perform any surgical procedure however minor it may be without medical guidance

What I presume is - the wart has gone infected

It remains moist under bandaid as it is devoid of necessary care, it may be getting soiled when you wash your hands

I would suggest you see a good surgeon in your area, if need be go for an antibiotic cover and later surgery when infection is under control

Hope this helps
Am Available for followup queries
Wishing you a Speedy recovery