Have wart on side of face. How to remove this?

hi...My name is XXXXXXX ..I'm 23 years old and i have had a wart on the side of my left hand since i was a child...i believe the earliest i remember having it was 4 or 5 years old. Any idea on what kind of wart this might be based off of how long i've had it, the location of it, and what can be done to have it removed?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the image that you have uploaded, in all probability it looks like a viral wart( caused by human papilloma virus). Usually viral warts resolve spontaneously in most cases in few months time but in some cases these may persist indefinitely for years.
One way to confirm wart is to pinch it, if it causes sharp pain, it is a wart.

To treat wart, one can apply salicylic acid ointment under occlusion as it being a keratolytic or skin peeling agent would remove wart too. But it has to be done everyday till wart is completely gone.
However in your case, I would suggest that you get either cryotherapy and paring of wart done or go for electro cautery of the wart for its complete removal.

All the above are dermatologist guided procedures. I would encourage visiting a dermatologist also to rule out some other unlikely causes like tuberculous verrucosa cutis( a mycobacterium tuberculosis infection) etc which can only be done after proper skin examination.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more, feel free to write back.