Have wart on hand. Noticed sore red white bumps on mouth. Any solution?

ENT Specialist
Just wanted to make sure this bump/cut/sore in my mouth appears to be normal. I'm healthy and am not sexually active. It seems like a cut but it feels more of a bump.
In the past 12 hours, it has gone from a sore red spot to more of a white bump. I have a wart on my hand...I'm really hoping I did not spread it to the inside of my lip. I am looking for reassurance this does not look like one forming.
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 22 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

I have examined the images thoroughly and I am of opinion that this is a typical aphthous ulcer (Canker sore). Aphthous ulcer or stress ulcer or Canker sore is a type of mouth ulcer that presents as a painful open sore inside the oral cavity. Stress, spices, alcohol intake, smoking, certain medications, acidity, etc can cause this type of ulcers. This ulcer is definitely not related to the wart you are having on the hand.

Do not worry! It can be easily treated. Drink plenty of water; avoid smoking/alcohol/coffee/tea/spicy food. Also, avoid very hot/cold drinks for few days.

Oral vitamin B12, topical (local application) corticosteroid gel and oral pain relievers (such as diclofenac or ibuprofen) remain the mainstays of treatment. If you are not benefited with the above treatment even a short course of oral steroids can give you excellent relief.

Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Have wart on hand. Noticed sore red white bumps on mouth. Any solution? 7 minutes later
Thank you! Are the chances of this being a wart as spread from the common wart on my hand currently being treated very slim?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back

No, I do not think the wart on the hand can spread to the lips. The lesion over the mucosa of the lower lip is a mere aphthous ulcer.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Have wart on hand. Noticed sore red white bumps on mouth. Any solution? 16 minutes later
Thank you doctor! I'd like to ask you one more question if I may. I see that you are an ENT specialist. I am a bit of a worrier and hypochondriac so please keep that in mind with the potential silliness of this question.

I have a recent fear of oral HPV. I have NO real reason to suspect I could have oral HPV. I just would like to hear those words from a medical professional.

I have never participated in genital intercourse in my life. I am a virgin. I have, however, received and given oral sex.

I am very careful with who I date and who I would participate in that with. I am for some reason concerned about the last girlfriend I had and no longer have communication with. She was healthy and conscious as well but, my anxiety is giving me that fear of the unknown because I have recently become aware of the growing number of people getting HPV orally. I never worried about it until I heard about it.

I have never shown any symptoms of the wart strains and my urine cultures are clean for anything downstairs. None of my partners have ever been diagnosed with HPV as far as I know and are clean otherwise as well. I am well educated on HPV and that men can be carriers of other strains with no symptoms.

My sexual history in the past year has been the following:
Girl 1: Given oral sex 2 times
Girl 2: Given oral sex 2 times
TOTAL of 4 times giving oral sex in all of 2012

These 2 girls both had significantly more oral partners than I had but both get tested frequently and are educated, intelligent, responsible women. I know there is always a risk with any kind of sexual activity but I have always been told by doctors that oral to genital interaction is far less significant risk to pass HPV than genital to genital. My questions are:

1. Is this true?
2. Given my rather limited history, would you say my risk is high or low if in theory my partner was actually infected (unlikely)?
3. Let's say in theory that one of the girls had HPV on genitals. Given my limited interaction, what would a chance be of contracting it in my mouth from giving oral? (I am not looking for a "100% risk if they have it" answer please :) )

Any other information you could provide me with to ease a troubled mind would be much appreciated. I try very hard not to worry and I know worrying is never a good thing. I know there is always a risk but I hope that I am overall worrying for nothing.

Welcome back

1. Yes, it is true and also appearance of genital warts is more significant than warts anywhere else on the body.

2. HPV can spread even by simple handshake. But, not all types of viruses are XXXXXXX Although HPV is more likely to be transmitted when lesions or warts are visible, transmission is possible even without the presence of visible warts. Hence the risk is on the higher side if the other partner is infected.

3. The chances of you contracting HPV will be high if the other partner had already acquired HPV; it is very difficult to comment based on any scale of measurement. The time between first contracting HPV and the appearance of lesions can be weeks to months or even years. While there is no cure for HPV, the good news is the infection often clears on its own as you are young with good immune support.

4. Do not worry! Please follow my advice as per previous discussion, you will be definitely alright. Secondly, get yourself treated for the wart on the arm.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon