Have vomiting with blood. Face and ears turned black. Was in ICCU in hospital. Indication of poison?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My brother just died (overseas) and we were wondered why his face and ears turn black instead pale? He was started throwing up/vomiting and his maid told that the vomits with a bit blood, then he was brought to the hospital get treatment for 2 and a half day. Then he went home. But in the same day at 3pm, He had to go back to the hospital (IGD - Intensive Emergency) with breathing problem, After several hours in the hospital, they put him in ICCU and he was died there at 1.30am So my concern, at ICCU he was lay with face up, but why after he died his face and ears turns black? Is that symptoms can be indication that he got poisoned?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
I am very sorry about your brother. I hope you can go through all this. Honestly, I dont think there was posioning and it all seems to be natual death caused by cardiorespiratory arrest. After most kind of deaths( cardiac arrest, breathing arrest) skin becomes discolored, first turning pale, then purple, then black. this happens because of hypostasis" or "post-mortem lividity", in which blood collects in the parts of the body and become congested in skin and suncutaneous tissue.
So purple/black color is normal phase of skin discoloration when there is circulation arrest. True, it is seen also in poisoning but I think this is the last thing to think of.
You can insist on autopsy which can reveal the right cause such as cardiac arrest,pulmonary embolism, respiratory arrest or hemorrhage. But now, the past cant be changed and in this time of grief because of your loss, some doubtfulness would only make things worse. Wish you good recovery. Regards