Have vitreous floaters, victrectomy suggested. What has been your experience with patients who have had the procedure done?

I am 77 and have good vision with eyeglasses (od 0.50 + 1.00+ 172/ os 1.75+.075+148). But I do have some rather large vitreous floaters that often annoy and distract me. A retina specialist once suggested that I consider a victrectomy but I am hesitant because it is not a routine procedure and has some risks (10% chance of infection or worse) plus it requires some recovery and healing time. I noted that XXXXXXX Wilber Eye Clinic does not put it high on their recommended procedure list. What has been your experience with patients who have had this procedure done?
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 12 hours later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
For a simple problem like floaters,vitrectomy is a complete NO.Statitically any procedure with more than 1.5% risk is XXXXXXX It is just like killing a ant with a nuclear bomb.We have never done this and probably never suggested to our patients.
For any problem we have to weigh the disease and treatment,in a situation like your's
vitrectomy with it's complications grossly outweigh small benifets you are supposed to get.
Vitamin C reaches the vitreous cavity by diffusion.So 500 mg.vit.C per day does you no harm and some benifets may occur after 6 weeks of treatment.
Any further query regarding this ,you are most welcome to get back to us.