Have visible vein above belly button. Is this normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
I have a vein above my belly button that I can see through the skin. I was googling and read some scary stuff. Is this normal? Is it ok to see veins on your stomach
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 20 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The vein above your belly button is a normal thing.

Superficial veins will be visible through the skin in normal people and it is a normal finding.

So nothing to worry regarding the visible vein on the skin.

On google you can know about some information regarding a particular disease or diagnosis, but it can't guide you to know the cause for each and every finding especially in medical field.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have visible vein above belly button. Is this normal? 6 minutes later
So this zig zag vein that I see wouldn't be sign of leukemia or cancer. I read that and liver disease. I can see lots of veins in my legs.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Presence of a vein or a zig zag vein is not at all a sign of leukemia or cancer.

Presence of multiple veins around the belly button in a spider web form is a sign of chronic liver problem and it will be seen in individuals with pre-existing liver disease.

Abundant superficial veins will be present on legs and it is a XXXXXXX phenomenon.

Therefore stop worrying about the veins and don't be panic.

Hope I have answered your queries, if you have any similar concerns you are free to contact me.

Regards.